This is a practical one day workshop that will involve turning press releases/statements/brochures and lengthy information into news articles.
Those working in the public relations writing or communications fields, who have to produce press releases/news releases on a regular basis.
Anyone who has to get either hard or soft news articles printed in the media, as well as get the attention of radio and television producers.
- How to make the media read a press release
- Newswriting - hard and soft news style
- The difference between hard and soft news and when to use them
- Understanding just what the media wants and how to give it to them – finding creative ideas for media campaigns
- Obtaining effective briefs from clients
- Just when do we send a press release and when do we send a news article?
- Who to send it to and timing?
- The breakdown of a hard news piece. How to take the 5 w’s and an h (who, what, where, why, when and how) and put these into one paragraph without losing the story.
- Editing your work and producing a ‘ready to print’ piece.
- How to reach the electronic media with your release.
- Writing headlines and leads
- Effective Interviewing - getting the sound bite
- Tightening up language
- Making your writing flow
- Common grammar mistakes
This is a practical one day workshop that will involve turning press releases/statements/brochures and lengthy information into news articles